It’s been raining all day and I’ve been craving for creamy mushroom soup for days. I’ve tried different recipes but today’s the best yet. No cream was used because real dairy cream is expensive here, so I made it with roux instead. I’ve never succeeded in making roux traditionally so I used the trick I learned in a cooking blog (meinekuechemrsp.blogspot.co.id/2011/07/sup-krim-ayam-jamur-ncc.html) — mixing flour with milk and broth before putting the mix into my pot. I added carrot to get some vegetable in, plus I love the crunch and color.
3 packs of different mushrooms: portobello, shitake, oyster (much better than using just 1 type of mushroom) — slice it however you want
2 cups of milk (full cream is best. I’ve tried using soymilk but it was terrible hahaha)
1 cup of broth
2 tbsp of flour
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, diced
2 baby carrots, diced
2 tbsp butter (margarine is a no-no)
Herbs — oregano/thyme/parsley/whatever you like
Bread — I got a loaf of olive bread and it was delicious with the soup
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, milk, broth, salt. Make sure there’s no lumps.
2. In a large pot, melt butter over low-medium heat. Sautee garlic and onion until transluscent.
3. Pour the #1 mix slowly into the pot while stirring. Add carrot and stir for 1 minute.
4. Add mushroom, stir until the mushroom slices are limp. Add pepper to taste. The soup should be creamy by now and it’s ready!
5. But I like to take half of the soup and blend it with my hand blender, then return it back to the pot and stir it again a bit.
6. Serve with bread. Dig in!